Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Thing 6 - mashups

Wowzer! I liked the Flikr mosaic mashup. That was quite fun. I made one with clouds, mountains, all from the Favorites using tags. I think this would be a great thing to do with kids who are working on different landforms. Plug in - valley or island and let it go and find lots of pictures and then have a mosaic. I think they would be fun to print out and put outside the room for others to look at especially if you could print the mosaics in color. Of course you could always go out and find pics too. One of the things that my teachers told me about landforms is that they need lots of visuals for this.

I also liked the trading cards. I can see how these would be a great tool. Go in and take digital pics of all the science equipment the students are supposed to know for TAKS and the saftey rules, make a set of trading cards. Then give out groups of them to different kids and have a complete set posted. Also the teacher could give them out as reward slips. Students would need to go around to other kids and say - I need a goggles card. The student with the card would ask 2 or more questions (teacher choice) that the 1st student would need to answer. If the child answered correctly, he gets the card for his "set." The students would work with each other to help each other learn the tools and safety rules. Then they could put their completed sets in their science notebooks. This could be done with landforms, math, alphabets, adinfinitum. I see this as a great way to have some huge fun. It takes a bit of time to make the original set - but then kids can start making sets as well. They could make sets about different periods of time in history, okay, if I start down this path - I will never stop. I could go on and on.

The choices are endless. So, let the mind run free - oppps, that could be dangerous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too many choices! Not enough time to do all of the things that you have thought about and visulize. Yes, teachers can really use the trading cards to energize student
interest and learning.

VWB said...

post some of your ideas so we can "see" ! :-)