Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thing # 9- Blog searching

I really liked Topix. It was fairly easy to search by topic which is the main way that I would use it for students in the library. Another that was equally easy and gave lots of choices was the Blogline's search tool. I was not so impressed with the Syndic8.c0m. It seemed to limit your choices and did not have as large of a return for the searched items. I also did not like the layout of this one. However, for news, it would be a good choice.

Technorati was fairly easy and gave a good return. But, I think I still like Blogline's the best of all.

I am still not sure how much I would use this in school at this point. Of course, the fact that I work in an elementary school has alot of bearing on that. With older students I can see a real use for this. However, elementary school has a problem that often web pieces are at to high of a reading level for this to be extremely helpful. What I would like to find is a blog search that will find blogs by elementary students for elementary students. So, that will take some searching.

1 comment:

Grendel said...

A lot of bloggers have said that they find Technorati to be too much to handle, but there are are a few of you who like it best! Different strokes....It is good to have a choice. There has been some discussion, too, about teaching students to differentiate between fact and opinion--just as we do for print items, etc.