Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thing 9 - Google Blog Search

I guess that I should get over my Google fasination - but this is the search tool that I like best. It follows the form that Google searching has - so it would be familiar to students. I like that it has a time element showing - this gives the searcher some idea how current the item is. Also, it makes it easy to connect to your RSS reader.

I just think that there is something to be said for familiarity especially when you are dealing with little kiddos. They need that support - so for me, I think I would use the Google blog search. Now, another thought occurs. I think this opens another kettle of worms to deal with as far as the kiddos are concerned.

It is already difficult for them to understand that everything that they read is not necessarily gospel truth - blogs are going to often be oppinions. Now, for dealing with fact and opinion that is great - but when searching for FACTS, we really do need to be careful.

I sometimes think we need to create a cheatsheet checklist for the kids of what they can "trust" for factual info and what not. The list is getting extremely long - so I guess that begs the question that is behind all of this - we are moving from just learning how to "find" info into a time where we need to really begin to teach students, at a very young age, to evaluate what they find. That can be a very difficult concept for adults much less young pumpkins.

5 comments:

Grendel said...

The last half of my comment on Thing 8 was meant for Thing 9! :( Sorry!!

NDbound said...

hey - you must be on vacation...
I am assuming that you are the librarian at Pine Shadows...
I am happy to say that I am almost finished with these things... I am off on vacation soon... just wondering where you are off to this summer... KB (spring shadows)

One Dimensional said...

I was reading your blog and I am concerned as you are about fact vs fiction on so many levels. I think that a checklist would be in order so that they can have a guide.

Ms J said...

I enjoyed reading your comments about Google. I prefer the students use it also after they have used our online resources.

Ms J said...

I enjoyed your comments on Google. That's what our kids use after they have used our online resources.There is less distraction on Google's homepage.