Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Thing 10

Hello today I start on thing 10. I made a happy b'day for a friend that is celebrating her b'day today. My sister really likes Peanuts so as her b'day is coming soon I sent that one out. Of course the longer this goofiness went on the more my mind started to go crazy. So I started thinking. That is when I got into trouble.





Here is the thing. Almost any librarian will tell you there are a few things that we hear so much that we almost want to scream. I started thinking about that and my funny bone clicked in. Well, you have to understand Peanuts to get the joke a bit but here is what I made. I hope that you all like it. I used the comic strip generator to make both of these. Now, I have all sorts of ideas that are educational - and I know someone is going to say - so show me. So I guess I will go back in and make another one that has educational value. Ha! Get ready. This is a two box strip for science.


And I am coming back in here to add something new. It is a bit of political fun as well as science.





Okay, the thing that I REALLY love here is the trading cards. Also, this is the place that I think has the most potential for educational use. Pick a subject. For me - I picked Texas Geography because I am working on lessons for this subject. So, then you think of about 9 - 15 things that you want the students to know that you can also have pictures for - such as science equipment or safety rules, planets, math facts, etc. So I chose landforms. Then make a set of cards, save them, and make a poster with a full set. Make copies of the cards, lots of copies - enough for everyone in the room to have one. Give out a mixture of cards to the students but no one gets a full set and they have lots of duplicates. The students go around and ask each other for cards that they do not have. The students then ask each other questions - you could put questions to ask on the back (this would be info you want the kids to know). If the student can answer the question the other student hands it over. They work with each other until everyone has a full set. They can keep them in their science, math, or social studies journal in a baggie. Here are two examples of the landform ones.



So I have had some fun. I expect that I will finish these and give them as a gift to my fourth grade teachers. If you are on a team each team member could make a set and then you would all be the better off. Just remember, you will need a poster in each classroom so the students know what they are looking for in terms of cards. What happens - you get the kids practicing amoung themselves. They will be talking about the subject on the playground and at lunch. Let them have a few minutes at the beginning of the day. They will be teaching themselves. Waahooo!




2 comments:

VWB said...

ah, a view that reminds me of home. Arent the trading cards a nifty little tool!

Terry said...

Laughed out loud at the Scary Books Peanuts! Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of the poster idea. I did trading cards with 2nd and 3rd this year (birds, states) and posted a few for a bulletin board. I had wanted to print enough for trading but the ink at the end of they year just wasn't going to handle it! A poster with everyone's would have been a nice addition though!