Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing 13 - social bookmarking

Okay, I was already familiar with del.icio.us. I had not really used the site alot but I had been in a class at TCEA about it so felt comfortable with all the ins and outs of it. I like the ability to share lots of bookmarks VERY easily. However, I also looked at Furl and Ma.gnolia and there are things that I like about them more. The thing the del.icio.us has is the wealth of bookmarks already avaliable and the easy of searching. Both Furl and Ma.gnolia allow for public or private bookmarks which I really liked. On top of that Ma.gnolia also allows you to create groups to send bookmarks that you create to - such as teachers or students that a librarian would send them bookmarks to a specific group. Additionally, Ma.gnolia has another feature that I really liked. It saves a copy of the site for you. Then you never loose the site even if it goes down. That is awesome. It allows you to "grade" a website using the stars method. This is also helpful especially if you are sending them to a group. Unfortunately Ma.gnolia looses the easy of creating the bookmark that both del.icio.us and Furl have. Both of these sites allow you to copy portions of the site and put it in the comments section.

Finally, I guess I would say that I like del.icio.us for the wealth of sites already bookmarked and avaliable to search, Furl for the privacy issue, and Ma.gnolia for privacy, saving the site, and the groups option.

Interestingly - some of these things are called social and they actually keep you from being face to face with people because you spend so much time behind your computer bookmarking, blogging, etc. I admit - it does let you connect with people far away that you might not have connected with otherwise.

No comments: