Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing 18 - Open Source

Google Doc is a wonderful tool. I am using it with my Google web page that I am developing. It allows one to create a document in a familiar zone similar to Word Docs without all the tools and hoohaas. Then you can, with just a click, send it forth as a web page. It is even easier than Front Page - which I loved. Google Docs does not have as many different types of print to choose from, size of print, etc. However, most of the basics are available like headers and footers, colors, spell check, tables, etc. There is no mail merge, no label maker, no track changes, no variety of lines or lettering, no columns. But again, the basics are there. It is easy to use and recognize. In actuality - if I were teaching someone to use Word, I would start with Google Docs, let them get their feet dirty there and then move them up to Word. Google Docs is a great basic platform.

I looked at Open Office. It is very close to the same as Microsoft Word. It has all the basic features that Word or Power Point have with only some of them missing. However, if you have used the Microsoft program set, there will be things that you will miss - although the free aspect might make up for that. As these are programs that I use constantly - I would miss certain things but if you were just learning this would be a great tool to learn with. It has more bells and whistles than Google Docs but not quite as many as Microsoft Word.

No comments: