Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing 15 - Library 2.0

Disruptive thinker, David Warlick, I think not. I really felt that he had some extremely good points, was well thought out, and easy to understand. I was particularly interested in the website he mentioned and will spend some time "playing" there a bit later this summer.

I also read the Wikipedia entry and although it gave some info - it was more of an overview of the discussion rather than anything pertinate.

Last, I happend upon Michael Stephens "Into the new world of librarianship". I liked his thinking but that is more on the overview of a library rather than in the world where I live with my kids. In someways, although my end user is my students, it is also really my teachers. I am here to help them get the info they need to get to the students. Then it is also my job to help the kids understand the info and how to get it again and again. I am so looking forward to this next year when I hope that I will be able to pull my kids in and do more and more projects with them that allows me to open new arenas of info and technology to them. I really believe that a librarian is becoming more and more a facilitator to and of information than almost anything else - but then - when dealing with "digital natives" that is also what one might hope that teachers are as well. I guess that in a real overall way - that is what I see my role as being - a conduit or facilitator. Getting the person to the info they need. If that means helping them find it or if that means helping them use it, what ever, that is what my job is.

No comments: