Friday, July 4, 2008

Thing 14 - technorati

I frankly find it interesting that there is a company that is out there trying to keep up with all the blogging that is going on. But, I guess that I shouldn't be as this is just like the function of a librarian, getting info cataloged and into a shape that will allow others to find information quickly and easily. Tagging is actually another one of those librarian functions that now everyone is doing. We didn't call it tagging - we called it cataloguing. So, now it is just a tad bit easier and with out all the rules that we had to learn to catalogue - but then with tagging - the cataloguing is only as good as the tags that people use. As librarians, we all had a standardized procedure to help make it orgainzied. So, I wonder how long it will be until there becomes some sort of standardized tagging system. Naaaah I don't think that will probably ever happen. They will just expand the search to capture all the different possibilities.

While searching in different ways for "school library learning 2.0" I did notice that alot of the most popular blogs at the moment are gossip, politics, geeky stuff, and humor. I found that quite interesting. Also, I found that I did get different info sometimes but also there was some overlap.
I felt that there was a wealth of info on Technorati - but again, it would take alot of "playing" with it to get easy enough with it to make it comfortable. I tried to "claim my blog" by the site was not working properly. Oh, well, another time.

No comments: