Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing 19 - Web Award List

There were several things on the list that I found incredible. One of the ones that caught my attentiona and that I played with was Yahoo! Pipes. This is really a type of smash up. I loved the example that smashed the news of the day with a map. I thought this would be a great feature to add to the morning news. Not only would the kids be show a snippet of the new but they would be learning a bit of geography at the same time and in a fun, practical way.

I, of course, had to look at the items in the Books category. I was already familiar with Lulu as I have ordered books from there before. I think this is a wonderful site for self publishing items for say a class or even for the library. If you have authors week - take some of the best stories, add illustrations and make a new book for the library from your very own students. It could be bound just like a "real" book. I also liked Biblio as I found several old out of print books that I had been looking for and could not find on Amazon. But World Cat takes the cake for librarians. It offers cataloguing from over 10,000 libraries - that should really help us out.

I also looked at the maps section as that could be helpful in teaching Geography. Google Maps I already knew. But Live maps was awesome. I loved the picture collections of different places. I need to just spend some time - playing. Of course I already love Google Earth but Live maps might be just as great if not better - and that would really be something wonderful. The piece of Live Maps that I think will be so fun is the 3D item. I am downloading it and can't wait to get in and play.

This is one site that I am just going to have to take some time and puruse. Let my little fingers walk slowly through to find out what is possible.
Okay, the first thing I want you to see is the Capitol of Texas.










Okay, now you go to the corner of the Capital and turn to the SW and there is the Govenor's Mansion.


But, the one that I like best is you can "walk" up to the Caprock Escarpment and "see" it and the plateau above.
Nothing could get better than that.

No comments: